- Go to Magento Admin > Catalog > Manage Categories
- Add your Product categories here but do note your category ids, you can make a list of your category ids in a notepad file.
- There might be a possibility that you need to define extra attributes for your products so for that go to Catalog >Attributes >Manage Attributes and click Add new Attribute. You can also save your Attributes sets based on the attributes you have defined.
- Now go to Magento Admin > Catalog > Manage Products
- Add four to five products manually.
- Now go to Magento Admin > System > Import/Export > Profiles
- Click Export all products.
- In Data Transfer choose Local/Remote Server (If you choose remote ftp, then you will have to provide the ftp information)
- Any select Local Server (though its upto you) and click Save Profile.
- Now click export all products again and then click Run Profile on your left.
- This will save a csv file of your manually added products on to your local/remote folder
- Download that csv file on to your computer using any ftp client (filezilla).
- You will have a csv file having columns of all the product attributes such as store, websites, attribute_set, type, sku, category_ids, has_options, name,meta_title etc
- Populate these columns with your products and add the category ids that you had already saved in a notepad file in category_ids column to properly assign the products to their respective categories.
- When you are done, go again to Magento Admin > System > Import/Export > Profiles and click Import all products this time.
- Click Upload file, browse for that csv file and then click Save Profile. (Or you can upload the csv file via ftp client such as filezilla to var/import folder)
- Now again click Import all products, click Run Profile, Select the csv file that you have uploaded from the drop down and then click Run Profile in popup.
- Products will start importing into your Magento Store
Problems with the import/export feature ?
I got the import/export business working by:
1. Using the default Export All Products profile and making sure to set the file name ending to .XML not .XLS
2. Using Excel to edit the file.
3. Using the default Import All Products profile to import.